Home > City Departments > Environmental Services > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What types of refuse can I put in the container?

  • Typical household waste.
  • In the interest of container cleanliness, we encourage you to use plastic bags for wet garbage and to occasionally hose out the container.
  • Yard trimmings, such as grass and leaves, should be placed in the container and should be bagged. Non-bagged, loose grass and leaves stick to the inside of the container causing odor and prevent the full contents from being dumped.
  • Pet waste must be bagged in order to avoid odor.


What kind of refuse should not be placed in the container?

  • No debris from construction, remodeling or demolition, such as tile, bricks, cement, etc. – Contact the department for proper disposal. If it was affixed to your dwelling it is construction debris.
  • No hot ashes, flammable or hazardous materials such as oil, gas, paint or asbestos.

  • No large appliances, furniture or carpets.

  • No liquid waste.

  • No loose human waste and farm waste from animals.

  • No dirt or rocks.

  • No dead animals. Contact the department for proper disposal.

  • Do not place anything on top of the containers.


What is included in "construction and demolition debris?"


The Ohio EPA provides a list of materials included in the "construction and demolition debris" category. These materials include:


  • Brick, concrete, and other masonry materials
  • Stone
  • Glass
  • Wall coverings
  • Drywall
  • Framing and finishing lumber
  • Roofing materials
  • Plumbing fixtures (toilets, sinks, water heaters, pipes)
  • Heating equipment (furnaces, duct work)
  • Electrical wiring and components containing no hazardous fluids or refrigerants
  • Insulation
  • Wall-to-wall carpeting
  • Asphaltic substances
  • Metal incidental to any of the above
  • Weathered railroad ties and weathered utility poles


Will this 96 gallon container be sufficient capacity for my garbage?

  • National surveys indicate that 96 gallons per week is adequate for an average household. However, additional toters can be obtained for a one-time user fee of $55.00 per container.

  • You are encouraged to reduce your waste by taking your recyclable items (newspapers, plastics #(PETE) and #2 (HDPE), aluminum cans, tin and steel cans, magazines, junk mail) to a Drop-off Recycling Point.


How much trash can I put out in my front yard?

  • Two cubic yards. For example, two cubic yards could be a toter, couch and 10 bags. Beyond that, charges are an additional $75.00 per two cubic yards.


What if I want to dispose of an appliance?

  • The Environmental Service Department will collect appliances for a fee of $15.00, or you can bring the appliance to the department at no charge. Please contact the office to make arrangements prior to placing any appliance at the curb.


Do I receive a bill from the Environmental Services department?

  • No, charges are included on your utility services bill.


If I am going on vacation, should I contact you to skip my service?

  • Residents who may be absent from the premises for a period in excess of sixty (60) days may, upon advance notice to the Department, place their account on vacation hold. Upon notification by the resident, the toter will be removed and the monthly service charge suspended until the resident returns and so notifies the department. No service will be suspended without the removal of the container. An administrative fee of $7.94 will be charged to suspend service and an additional $7.94 shall be charged to reinstate service.


What should I do with my Christmas Tree?

  • The City of Warren and the Geauga-Trumbull Solid Waste District sponsor a joint Christmas Tree Recycling Program. Drop off sites will be published on-line and in the local newspaper. The city will NOT pick up Christmas trees.


What should I do with my tree trimmings?

  • Tree limbs should be cut in 3 foot lengths or less and tied in bundles. Each bundle should weigh less than 35 pounds. Limb size is limited to 2 inches in diameter. These items can also be disposed of at the Environmental Services department between 7:00 AM – 1:00 PM.


When am I permitted to put my trash out?

  • Containers must be properly placed by 4:00 AM; but no more than 24 hours before scheduled pick up.


When should my container be removed from the curbside location?

  • Containers must be removed no later than 12 hours after trash collection.


What if I can't roll my toter to the curb?

  • A disability services rate can be obtained by completing a Disability Services application. Upon approval of this application, a customer will receive backyard services at the standard curbside collection rate. To be eligible for this rate, a resident must be the sole occupant of the dwelling and must have a physician’s verification that the occupant is physically unable to move his/her container to the curb for collection. Please contact the department for further information.

  • You can find the Disability Application form under "Residential Rates and Discount Applications."